Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gotcha: Accessing Oracle 11g with older SQL*Plus

Oracle 11g has several enhancements over the previous versions. Some of these changes are in the client tools like SQL*Plus. To be able to use these you actually need to upgrade the client tools as well. If you are using old clients like me (I use Oracle 10g SQL*Plus), then you won't see those changes in Oracle 11g. For e.g., the EXITCOMMIT option I mentioned in my earlier post cannot be used in my scripts!

(I couldn't upgrade my client because we use Powerbuilder 10.2 with EA Server 5.5 which doesn't support Oracle 11g drivers. So, until we upgrade those tools, we are stuck with 10g client!)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I will be happy to hear your comments or suggestions about this post or this site in general.